Saturday, August 21, 2010

Barber Steve

Healdsburg's town barber is retiring in September.  He has been a one man show in the same location for 38 years.  He also has the last working payphone in Healdsburg in his shop, which is still used.  (I found this out this am).  He told me that the kids are going to be the hardest part of leaving.  He has loved watching kids grow up into adults around here.  And you can't leave his shop without a gumball or a lollipop in your hand.  Really everyone just LOVES this sweet man.

Jake has come a LONG way when it comes to haircuts.  I bet we had 5 or 6 haircuts that were a complete nightmare before he finally sat still without tears.  His first haircut with barber Steve was about a year and a half ago.  It was his first time not in a "kid" salon and I just knew it would be horrible... and it was.  Horrible.  My dad was in town and with us and he did everything to try and distract Jake.  It was hilarious really.  I wish I had a video on my dad :)  Jake had to sit in my lap and I had a death grip on him.  The more he cried the more snot he produced and tears+ snot+ HAIR= torture... for both of us... really for sweet Steve too!  He has always been incredibly patient and calm with Jake too.

But now, Jake does perfectly and I still get so excited about telling Jake what an awesome big boy he is and how great he does sitting so still.

... now I get to look forward to Pierce's first haircut in a few months...


Here are some of my favorite past haircuts... enjoy!  :)

Jake's very first haircut.

Jake's second haircut.

Over the next few haircuts, I decided to try out my mad skills with some sissors.  I would put on a movie or over the course of the day I would sneak a snip here and there.  This one's not so bad... if you like the "bowl" haircut... hmmmm sorry Jake!  At least he looks happy.  :)

I must have left my camera at home all the other times Jake got his haircut.  I didn't need to document any more nightmares... we were all about get in, cut, and get out in the fastest time possible!  :)


But here we are at Plaza Barber in downtown Healdsburg.  Camera in hand to document Jake's last haircut with barber Steve and to document his pre- preschool haircut!


Such a big boy this guy is!


TaaaaDaaa!  Thank you Steve and preschool... here I come!!!

1 comment:

  1. Jennifer! So fun to hear from you and see YOUR cute family! Email me and send me your address. :) mrskentwiley @ yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete