Saturday, February 5, 2011

Paris- Day 2

You remember how Mark and I both took ambien last night?  Well, ambien is now my absolute FAVORITE drug!  We slept 14 hours!  Yes, I just said FOURTEEN hours!  Just typing that makes me wonder if I really know how to count :)

So because of that we had a later than anticipated start.  We were going to do the Louvre in the morning and then head to the Eiffel tower after lunch but headed straight to the tower instead.  Our concierge suggested that we take a bus there.  Why not?!  After all, this is a major adventure for us!  I asked Mark if I could take his picture (just to document it) and he very sweetly said "please don't pull out your camera on this bus!"  I knew he would say that and had no intention of actually taking his picture. :)

We made it to the Eiffel tower and it was amazing!  To say it is huge is an understatement.  There were gobs and gobs and GOBS of people so we opted not to go to the top.  It was pretty chilly and very windy today.  But we enjoyed walking all around the gardens surrounding this huge attraction!  Next we headed to the Arc de Triumph.  I love how ornate it is- really how everything is in the city.  It's amazing to me!

Next came the shopping down the famous Champs-Elysees :)  Oh the shopping!  We mostly just did a ton of window shopping.  Of course we had to venture in the mother of all mother Louis Vuitton stores.  It was huge and so great.  Unfortunately half of Paris was also in the store so we didn't stay too long.  But we stayed long enough for me to drop a few hints to Mark :)

I had heard from most people that we had to stop in at Laudree.  We had a really good lunch and had an even greater dessert-  macaroons (what they are most famous for)

Interesting story- we have been "approached" by all these ladies with a sign reading that they don't have money and are from who knows where and have a 2 month old baby yada yada yada.  We are quick to turn the other way.  But once we were walking and all of a sudden I saw a men's gold ring, like a wedding ring on the ground.  A man suddenly picked it up and tried to give it to Mark.  Mark tried to keep walking but the man basically put it in Mark's hand.  I thought it was weird so we kept walking.  A minute later the man was asking Mark if he could have some money since he just gave him the ring.  Mark immediately gave the ring back to him and we went on our way.  I didn't think twice about it.  In fact, I told Mark that I thought it was sad that someone lost their wedding ring. Mark had no sympathy for the guy and said it was a scam.  It wasn't 5 minutes later that another man did the SAME thing to us!  

After a little more shopping we decided to head back to our hotel and take a little rest.  Mark still isn't feeling too well :(  Thought we'd take the metro back and once again, Mark wouldn't let me pull out my camera :)  We made it back where Mark is taking a nap and I am blogging.  We will head out to dinner soon.  

We just got back from the most delicious dinner just right around the corner from our hotel.  I know we are in France but I just had the yummiest pizza!  Can't imagine it gets any better in Italy but I'm sure that it does.  Mark, very nicely, encouraged me to leave my camera in the hotel room or I would have had a picture of it :)

Most of these pictures don't need explaining!


you can see how tiny the people are underneath.  it's seriously HUGE! 










someone snook a little bite before I took the picture... :) 


Bethany, this reminded me of your wedding cake :) 



This is our hotel.  Le Empire Hotel.  I definitely recommend it if you are in Paris! 




Some more observations are...

some of my highlights of today revolved around food- a chocolate croissant, macaroons, the most delicious hot chocolate and a pizza.  GREAT thing that we walked ALOT today :)

the french language is about the most difficult to speak and it's probably best if i keep my southern mouth shut and just smile :)

i only said "si" about twice today and said "gracias" just once- another reason to stay quiet :)

owning a motorcycle is the preferred method of transportation

have i already mentioned the amount of people who smoke?!?

Paris is the best place to people watch :)

public transportation was actually not that difficult to use

french men don't wear hats- seriously, you don't see really anyone wearing ball caps.



Tomorrow we are taking the train to Reims and will be there until Wednesday drinking as much champagne as our hearts desire!

2 comments:

  1. Oh how delightful! You have that Fern Sweater on from Anthropologie?!?! Did you buy it or did you borrow it from someone? Love it! What on earth were you drinking in the picture above the macaroons....b/c it looks heavenly! Oh the food sounds SO yummy! Love YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you guys had a blast!!!

    ReplyDelete