Monday, February 21, 2011

Reims Day 2

Mark and I woke up so excited to do some champagne tastings today.  Afgter breakfast in our hotel we walked to our first appointment- about a 10 minute walk.  (After walking around yesterday and seeing hardly anyone the city was definitely more "alive" today!)  One of our favorite sparkling wines in CA is Roederer so naturally we wanted to go to where it was originated.  We met with a great girl who took us to the main cellars (they have 4 all across the country) She walked us through the whole champagne making process, showed us some pretty fascinating vintages and at the end we got to pick a bottle to taste.  I was a little disappointed because I had assumed that we would get to taste several different ones but the one bottle that we decided on was fantastic!  We grabbed a quick (ha! as nothing is quick in France) lunch and then headed back to our hotel to meet our driver.  Our next appointment was about 45 minutes away.  We arrived at the tiny tiny little village.  For the next 2 hours we got to tour and taste one of the most nicest champagnes ever made, Salon.  They make a more affordable champagne as well, Delamotte.  At the end we got to taste 4 different champagnes... finally!  The cab driver on the way home was very nice and took us on a little "tour" through Epernay where we saw some other famous champagne houses.  It was so fun to see where some of our favorite beverages of choice are produced!

One interesting note that I want to remember is Mark and I were very surprised at the small amount of vineyards we saw today.  We had expected to see just vineyard after vineyard after vineyard (like we do in CA).  There are huge pieces of land that just sit unplanted.  I’m sure that there is something that’s important that grows there it’s just not grapes.
Mark and I found a restaurant to eat at back in Reims where I ordered a hamburger… man, I miss a good USA hamburger right about now... along with a Dr Pepper!  This coke is for the birds- yuck! :)

 In front of Roederer.


 They have 150 of these huge barrel/tanks.  It equals to 1 million bottles of champagne!

 Cristal anyone?  Yes please!  :)

Rose Cristal!

 My champagne drinking partner!



 Here we are at Salon.  I haven't mentioned that it is FREEZING in the cellars.  I wouldn't ever think of taking off my jacket!  Also, these cellars are hundreds and hundreds years old- spiderwebs and dust everywhere!
 Some champagne from 1943!

The 1999 vintage is just about ready to be released.










No comments:

Post a Comment