Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Pap-pa

My grandfather went to be with the Lord on Tuesday, September 7.  Just 9 days after his 92nd birthday.  Just 10 days away from celebrating 71 years with my grandmother (yes, I just said 71 years!).  Just 2 days away from seeing his granddaughter and his 2 great grandsons.  I was SO sad I could not say "goodbye" to him in person.  We all knew he was holding on until he got to see Jake... he loved that little boy so much!

My grandfather was in the Army and fought in World War II.  I had never been to a military burial before and to say that it was powerful is a complete understatement.  We sat in complete silence as 2 men folded the flag and then presented it to my grandmother.  And then sat with chills as we listened to taps play.  It was 5 minutes I will NEVER forget.

We had a memorial service at my dad's church afterwards.  My mom, brother, sister and I all spoke about such fun memories we had of my grandfather.  It was an uplifting service full of love, laughter, tears and hope.  I'm so thankful for my personal relationship with Jesus.  I'm so thankful for my grandfather's personal relationship with Him too.  I know that he is in no more pain.  He can breathe by himself.  He needs no more wheelchair and therefore can run... something that I never was able to witness :)  He is at the feet of our Jesus and we WILL see him again.  He is there waiting for his bride and for all of us.  I'm so glad we have the hope of eternity with our Jesus!

I miss him terribly.  I look at a picture of him every night before I close my eyes.  I just cannot believe he's not here anymore.  But I cannot wait to hug him again!























My grandfather was also amazing at making things out of wood.  My mom chose this beautiful wood casket as one last tribute to him.



my ROCK!



My grandfather used to play the fiddle beautifully so it only made sense to have a fiddle player at the service.

We ended the service with 3 songs played in a southern gospel way... Victory in Jesus, When We All get to Heaven and I'll Fly Away.  It was  great.  I knew my pap-pa would have LOVED it!

... it even got my sweet grandmother a dancin'  :)



2 comments:

  1. Wow - I love that someone was taking photos during such an emotional time - such a cherished memory. I am so moved after looking at this. Sad for your loss, encouraged by the legacy he left your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, I love this post, Jen. It was beautiful. And I loved Rufus! ;) He was such a darling grandpa.

    The pictures are gorgeous and such a treasure for your family. I loved all the details, the military burial, the wooden casket, the sweet pictures of them when they were young, and mamaw dancing to the old gospel songs. Such a touching tribute. Prayers for y'all!

    ReplyDelete