Sunday, June 20, 2010

The Eve of My Dad's Surgery

So tomorrow's the day.  The day that my dad has his cancer removed.  I want yall to read an excerpt of something he wrote today on his blog (www.habeckerfamily.blogspot.com)...

First and foremost, I am grateful that I can trust God for everything in life. I think of the words of Job; "Shall we indeed accept good from God and not accept adversity" (Job 2.10). God has blessed me sooo much in life. Yes, I've had my share of life hardships along with some physical challenges, but overwhelmingly I think of my life as being richly blessed by a loving God. So as I anticipate surgery and a good outcome tomorrow, I thank God for the privilege of trusting Him once again. I trust a loving God who cares infinitely more than I could ever imagine.

I anticipate surgery knowing the love of my family. My wife, Vicki, Jennifer and Mark (along with Jake and Pierce), Bethany and Luke, and Jonathan are amazing with their love and prayers. I am blessed. You can read more at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/halhabecker

I anticipate surgery tomorrow knowing the love of friends. I have had the blessing of at least four different organized prayer events at our church. (What can I say about the outpouring of love through Dallas Bible Church!) I have had notes, calls, emails, and texts from hundreds of friends. I've had dozens of phone calls from family and friends where people have prayed for me over the phone.

So I am at rest and at peace with all God is doing and will do through this journey. I hope my journey will encourage you, and I look forward to all that He will continue to do through my life. 


and then this from his caringbridge site...

Can one ever say "I'm looking froward to surgery?" Yes. I am looking forward to surgery tomorrow.

There is a cancer in me that is incompatible with life. All cancer is incompatible with life at some point. So, yes, I am ready to get on with it. The seeds of death are at work in my body, and my prayer is that God will remove them through this surgery.

I don't have any hesitation about this surgery. I'm ready to get on with it so I can recover.

I'm looking forward to all that God will teach me through this process. I love moving into the future with God. I did not choose this adventure but God did, and I know He will teach me valuable lessons.

I have peace in my heart. I implicitly trust God and the surgeon together with his team that operate on me.

I love the idea of going into surgery with my wife and kids who are totally supportive of their husband and Dad. They are awesome. There is nothing like a family that loves.

I love going into surgery with the support I have from our church. They have prayed over me, and they are praying with me tomorrow and in the days ahead.

I love having the support of my family on both my side and Vicki's side of the family. Families are such a gift, aren't they?

So I will rest well tonight, counting my blessing galore, and I will awake to the new adventure that will continue tomorrow.

I read Psalm 80 today as one of my Psalms for the day. There is a phrase in Psalm 80 that goes like this;

"Cause Your face to shine upon us, and we will be saved." It is repeated 3 times (vv.3, 7, and 19). That's what I feel about tomorrow. Our salvation is in Him, and we praise Him in advance.


I don't really need to say anymore.  Somehow each of you has just grown to love my dad just by reading his words.  Will you please join me in praying tomorrow?

His surgery will be at 1:30pm (Texas time).
Please pray for him.
Please pray for my mom.
Please pray for everyone's anxiety.
Please pray for peace.
Please pray for Dr. Kella.
Please pray for the robot.  (I know, that sounds so funny)
Please pray for all the nurses and the hospital staff.
Please pray that the cancer will be completely removed and there will be no sign of it ever again.
Please pray for a quick recovery so that he and my mom can travel back to Dallas.
Please pray that the Lord will be glorified in my dad's life.
and for a selfish one... Please pray that I won't be too sad tomorrow.

TO GOD BE THE GLORY!  FOREVER AND EVER!

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful post! Thank you for sharing his amazing words. I have been blessed and inspired just by reading them tonight. You and your family will continue to be covered in prayer tonight, tomorrow and in the days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...exactly, what do you say after his own words are far better than anything anyone else could come up with. He is a true testimant of pure faith and hope in Jesus. I've been praying for him since I got up and will continue throughout the day. I love you all so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer -
    We have all been praying and anxiously awaiting some news from you. Your dad's words are in inspiration to all who read them. What an amazing man! Love you friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - awesome letter from your dad. And awesome music to back it up on the blog. Praying for the journey that this will take your family on and will change your lives forever. Thanks for keeping us updated!

    ReplyDelete