Thursday, March 10, 2011

Burgundy Day 3

We woke up to breakfast being made for us.  (Did I mention the house came with a cook?!  She even did our laundry- such a wonderful thing after being gone for 10 days!)

Anyways, we headed to our first tasting at Domaine Henri Gouges.  They have a fairly new building that was a nice change to see.  And then we went into their cellars for some outstanding wines!  These wines were probably my favorite.  We got to visit with the grandson who is now the main winemaker who was about Mark's age.  When I needed a "break" from tasting or when my toes started to go numb I would just walk around the part of the cellar we were in at the moment.  I loved looking at all the old bottles, wondering about that particular year, wondering if we will ever have a hundred year old bottle of Arista.  I loved the oldness of all the cellars.  Such a cool "look" and oh so different from what we have here in California.







I really never could get over how dusty these bottles were!  So cool to me!


Wine from 1933.

WINE FROM 1919 (oldest bottles we saw on our trip)!!!

Wine from 1968.


After a quick bite to eat we headed to our next tasting at Faively.  This winery started in 1825 and the 7th generation is running it now.  
Makes me think about Arista's 7th generation :)




This particular barrel will be sold in auction at the Hospices de Beaune (my previous post mentioned this)

Ahhh!  Such a nice relief to be inside (with heat) sitting down to taste :)



We had about 2 hours before our final tasting so we headed home for a break.  Our last tasting was in Beaune at Alex Gambal.  Alex is an American who left his job in real estate and moved his family to Beaune to start making wine.  all of his wines were really good.  I didn't take any pictures because we were tasting with some of Alex's investors and I felt a little weird taking them.

Afterwards, we headed to dinner but the restaurant couldn't find our reservations (imagine that!) so we ended up at this little cafe and had a wonderful dinner.  The best part about this cafe was it had wifi!  The first time in 4 days we had been able to get on the internet.  It was heaven!  Mark and I had no problem enjoying a long dinner that night- ha!

We fell asleep that night thankful for a fun day and looking forward to our last day in Burgundy!

No comments:

Post a Comment