Thursday, December 31, 2009

My toothless little man.

Well, we made it through today! It was a rough one for me. Everyone told me that it would be harder on me than on Jake and everyone was right. My sweet little buddy was a champ. I'm so proud of him.

This morning at 8:30 am we headed to the dentist to have Jake's little teeth removed. We chose to have him put under general anesthesia because of his age. They gave me the option of just having him held down while awake but I just couldn't bear the thought of having him go through that process- he would never let another dentist touch him again... or any other doctor I imagine!

The anesthesiologist brought Jake and I back to the room so he could give Jake a shot. Within about a minute Jake was out. Let me tell you folks, that minute was terrifying to watch! To watch my child go from screaming to basically lifeless was not fun. I was singing Jesus Loves Me to him while he was falling asleep and then he just went limp. I handed him to the dr and went to meet Mark and just fell apart. I thought I was going to throw up. Funny, because 15 minutes later the dentist came out and told me that she was through. I started crying again :) Just so thankful that it was over.

Jake did "beautifully" she said. About 20 minutes later we were back with Jake as he was waking up. He was pretty fussy until we started singing again. Ever since Jake was a baby he almost instantly calms when we sing Jesus Loves Me.

We spent the rest of the day just relaxing on the couch watching his new favorite movie, Fox and the Hound and playing with all the new "You did it Jake" toys. It took him a couple of hours to get his sea legs back. It was funny and sad and pitiful and cute all at the same time. He has 2 giant holes in his gums which kinda gives me the heebee jeebies to look at. But we are already getting used to his toothless smile. I know I will come to love it just as much as I did when he had normal teeth and then when he had his chipped teeth. I do have to tell a funny story real quick- we showed Jake his teeth later in the afternoon and he picked them up and tried to put them back in his mouth. Sweet guy!

I know that in the scheme of things, having teeth pulled probably ranks right up there with a hang nail. I have been praying recently for several friends who have small children who are going through chemo and radiation. We were with some friends just last night who have a 6 month old who is about to have her 2nd heart surgery. I can't imagine handing my child over to a cardiac surgeon. I'll take the abscessed teeth. But what I have to keep reminding myself is that God is in control. More importantly, He is faithful and He hears our prayers. There is not a minute that goes by or a thought of ours that goes unheard that the Lord is not aware of. He is my strength. And let me tell you, I need Him! And I'm so glad that He is with me every step of the way.

Thanks for praying. Thanks for listening to me as I type and thanks for letting me share our life with you.
Here are some pictures of our morning and his new little smile (cute, although I'm ready for the obvious holes to close up!) I tried to upload a couple of videos but it was taking forever so I'll try and do it again later...



Playing in the waiting room before.




In recovery.


Smiles at the end of the day!


Oh, and by the way...

HAPPY NEW YEAR FROM THE MCWILLIAMS!

No comments:

Post a Comment